DUI lawyer Grand Rapids, MI
If you were charged with a DUI, Blanchard Law encourages you to speak with our Grand Rapids, MI DUI lawyer without delay. The longer you wait, the more serious your case may become. Without experienced legal counsel, you are at risk for being taken advantage of by the legal system. Our DUI lawyer can fight for your rights and help make sure you are protected from overzealous law enforcement officers. Depending on your circumstances, the state may try you for more than one DUI offense as well as sentencing enhancements. Call us today to speak with our DUI lawyer for the initial consultation. Blanchard Law fights for the rights of all of their clients.
A sentencing enhancement in the context of a DUI is an additional consideration for an extension of jail time upon a conviction. With the help of a DUI lawyer from our firm, it may be possible to petition the court to reduce or drop any sentencing enhancements proposed by the District Attorney. Our Grand Rapids, MI DUI lawyer can go over your options.
What are examples of sentencing enhancements?
After a careful review of your case, our DUI lawyer can determine if you are vulnerable to one or more sentencing enhancements. Some of the more common examples are as follows:
- – If you have one or more prior convictions for DUI. The more convictions you have, the more a judge is likely to interpret a pattern of DUI behavior. Therefore, you are more at risk for stronger penalties.
- – If your blood alcohol content was well above the legal maximum, you may be subject to a sentencing enhancement.
- – If you hurt or killed someone while DUI, you will likely be subject to a sentencing enhancement. In addition, you may be charged with additional felonies such as manslaughter. When this is the case, a criminal lawyer Grand Rapids, MI trusts can help you.
- – If you showed excessive recklessness while DUI, you may be at risk for a sentencing enhancement.
- – If you had a minor in your vehicle at the time of the DUI, this may be cause for a sentencing enhancement because of the danger they were subjected to while being a passenger.
- – If at the time of the DUI incident, you were on probation after a criminal conviction, or your driver’s license was already suspended, you may be at risk for a sentencing enhancement.
Is a DUI always a felony?
No. A person may be charged with a felony DUI or a misdemeanor DUI. If any of the above scenarios regarding sentencing enhancements describes your circumstances, you’re more likely to be charged with a felony DUI. This is even truer if you do not have effective legal counsel such as a DUI lawyer from our firm. If you are convicted of a felony DUI, you may be sentenced to several years in state prison. A Grand Rapids, Michigan DUI lawyer from Blanchard Law can help with your case.
How can I avoid jail?
If you have been charged with a DUI or you are awaiting sentencing, our Grand Rapids DUI lawyer from Blanchard Law may be able to negotiate a plea bargain that keeps you out of jail. If it is possible to get the evidence in your case dropped, there is a very good chance that all of your charges will be dismissed.
Call Blanchard Law to Get the Legal Representation You Need
Protect your rights by seeking experienced legal counsel from Blanchard Law. Our Grand Rapids, MI DUI lawyer can review your case at no charge to you—contact us today.