Criminal Defense Attorney Greenville, MI
If you’re looking for the criminal defense attorney Greenville, MI relies on, contact the lawyers at Blanchard Law. No one is more respected or fights harder on behalf of those accused of crimes than the attorneys at Blanchard Law.
First Steps to Take if You Are Being Investigated for a Crime:
If you are contacted by law enforcement because you are being investigated as a result of criminal allegations being made against you, you should take the following actions:
- Politely tell the police officer who wants to speak to you that you will not speak to them without an attorney present. Do not speak to the officer any further or answer any questions. If the officer persists in wanting to speak to you, the only response you should give is that you do not want to speak to them without an attorney present. You should do this whether you are guilty, innocent, or somewhere in between. Even if you are completely innocent, you have to understand that the officer’s goal in investigating is to prove that you committed the crime as alleged. Your words can and will be twisted to make you look guilty, even when you are innocent.
- Don’t talk to anyone about the allegations or your version of events, even friends and family members. You don’t want to turn your friends and family into witnesses that the prosecution will eventually use against you.
- Contact a criminal defense attorney right away. There are many steps that a lawyer can take during the investigative phase that may help you to avoid charges being brought, or to begin the process of mitigating the damage from the charges that may be brought by the police and prosecuting attorney.
- Begin to prepare for the possibility that a warrant will be issued for your arrest. You will want to make sure that you have funds available to post a bond in the event that you are arrested, and have a good understanding of the process of turning yourself in and what you should do when you are arraigned.
First Steps to Take if You Have Been Charged with a Crime:
If you have been arrested or charged with a crime, the following are the first steps that you should take:
- Hire an attorney. Your first call should be to an attorney who is experienced and successful at defending criminal charges. You want to hire someone who specializes specifically in defending those accused of crimes. Don’t hire a “general practice” lawyer who does estate planning and family law and dabbles in criminal defense.
- Make arrangements through your attorney to turn yourself in on the warrant and to post your bond. Your lawyer can guide you through the process and make it as painless as possible.
- Don’t talk to the police, family members, friends, or anyone else about what is happening in your case. The only person you should be speaking to about the facts of your case is your lawyer.
Contact the Criminal Defense Attorney Greenville, MI respects and relies upon. If you’ve been charged with a crime in Michigan, Blanchard Law can help. Contact a top Michigan criminal defense attorney today at 616-773-2945.